English News

Nepali family survives Delhi hotel fire that claimed 18 lives

At least 18 people died in a Delhi hotel fire that broke out early on Tuesday morning.

According to local authorities, a room at the fourth floor of Hotel Arpit Palace in Karol Bagh, New Delhi caught fire after a short circuit occurred in the room’s air condition system at around 4am this morning. A BBC report quoting local officials stated that 35 people were rescued. Eyewitnesses said the dead included a woman and a child who attempted to jump from a window to safety. Of them, a Nepali family was also in the hotel when the incident occurred at the six-storey hotel in Karol Bagh, which is popular with tourists for its budget hotels and shopping.

Umang Shrestha of Chitwan who was at the hotel for the treatment of his four-year-old son Soumya Shrestha along with his wife Rija Shrestha survived the incident.

“We were sleeping in room number 401 of the hotel when we heard a lot of commotion,” said Shrestha, “At first we dismissed it thinking that other guests were calling the hotel staffs for something. But all of a sudden people started running from their room. When I looked outside to see what was happening, I came to know that there was a massive fire and smoke spewing from the first and second floor of the hotel.”